Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride- JFK

 

Bicycle Diaries

 

 

Let us check this out first. This is my best after 20 days of cycling and I am proud to share this with you.

Just a start by 25kms a day.

 

Amidst the lock down from the March of this year, I finally started running from 20th June. I started running 2kms a day and eventually I gained stamina to do more and more. As of now in the month of August, I proudly share that I run up to 8-10kms a day in co-ordination with my work-out schedule.

After a month of running, I realized I should get a bicycle to keep me motivated and relive my childhood memories again. I wanted to go to places. I still remember the cycles that I owned through-out these years. I am sure even you’ll recognize these name: Cyclone, Octane, Dtb Ranger, Ladybird and Ranger Swing. I hope it brings a smile to your face.

On the very first day of riding my new cycle from the shop to my house was so tiring that I couldn’t move the next day. After years and years I rode a bicycle that too for 6kms straight. My legs were done that day. The pain in quadriceps and hamstrings was unbearable but it made me want to exercise more because there is no better pain than sore muscles. I promise. These muscles cover the major part of our legs and work as a primary muscles for cycling (pedaling action).

“Cycling is something you can enjoy no matter what your age. It is truly as close as we can get to a lifelong sport” – Athletic Coach

You may wonder what exactly the benefits of cycling are. Well, it not only improves our stamina and increase muscle strength and flexibility but also helps in maintenance of good posture and helps us strengthen our bones. Cycling is not an impact sport which means it does not make a direct hit on the knee joints which you get while running. Running beats up our muscles more and hits directly with all the weight on our knee joints. I am not comparing running and cycling. It’s just that when you beat yourself hard in running in the long term, cycling would be comparatively better as it does not affect as much as running does on the knee caps and other joints.

It not only helps you improve physically but mentally as well. It gives you a channel for your thoughts and helps you improve your mood. If you are too tired, bored or depressed, go out cycling. I am sure this will help you.

They say it helps us become more creative. Honestly, for the past 2 months I have noticed this within. I go out for a run or a ride. It changes everything. I have all these thoughts meddling inside, all changes. I get clarity.  I wish this works for you as well.

It will eventually increase your metabolism which in fact is the natural calorie burner. It works even when you are asleep. More the metabolism more calories are burned by the body.

Exercise makes you feel happy. It makes you feel good about yourself and more the results you see more motivated you are. So go on and don’t turn back. You have reached one step closer to your goal. J

 

Now, what you really need to take care of is your upper body. Cycling is primarily a lower body sport as the pedal action uses our quads and hams muscles as well as calf muscles. Now, this does not mean that we have to spend equal amount of time in the gym for the upper body. We just have to make sure of the maintenance of the upper body and lower body so that after a while it doesn’t seem asymmetric.

After this, take care of your meals as well.  Proper amount of all the macro and micro nutrients should be maintained. Moreover, drink plenty of water with some salt in it and keep your body hydrated as you lose a lot of sweat which is nothing but water and salt.

One should forget the weighing scale while cycling. Focus more on the long term goals and results which cycling would provide you with. Your stamina increases eventually and your leg muscles get stronger and stronger everyday which will make sure your back pains are gone for good. Your heart beat per minute will reduce eventually which gives less stress on the heart.

Spot reduction is a myth. Cycling will not make your thighs slim. Why would you want that? Cycling will make sure your thigh muscles gets strong and excess fat gets burned and your muscles get into proper shape. You’ll be happy to see what toned thigh muscles bring to your aesthetics.

 

What all do you need for cycling?

Well, unlike running, this sport will require you to spend a few thousand bucks. There is a difference between when you used to cycle as a teenager and now. The major being your weight. I weigh approx. cube root of 614125 while back in those days I weighed only 40kgs. So now, I need to get a bicycle i.e. strong and has the capacity to carry me without a fuss for long time. Apart from this we would also want proper shoes and gloves and reflectors (if riding on the main streets). Also carry a safety kit if riding too long. One can carry chain locks as well and hydration packs (water and salt or other electrolyte supplements). Please carry water with you and stay hydrated.

Warm up your body before going on a ride and stretching is must after the ride. A cold shower after stretching to relax your muscles and KaBoom, you are ready for your day.

Enjoy your day with super energy and a wide smile on your face.

Cycling is your solution to a lousy day.

Stay Fit. Stay Hydrated. Keep Cycling.

 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. Its such an informative article.
    Today was Day 1 of my cycling routine with mountain bike,it felt really heavy and i was done after 15 minutes.
    I will keep updating the progress :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes. definitely. Ask for any help u may need :)

      Delete
  2. Interesting, waiting for more articles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something beautiful and energetic I see in this pandemic..i specially buy cycle to complete daily task ...thanx admin for such a wonderful motivational...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Informative..! 🙌
    Waiting for more..!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fats are my favourite Macro-nutrients ;)

Protein : Myths and functions and benefits?

Will you start your day from 6am tomorrow?

Calories : Your friend or foe ?

Why you should be afraid of Carbohydrates?

How much sugar is too much sugar ?